Central Alberta Refugee Effort
Position / Placement: Community Cultural Educator
We are currently seeking volunteer Community Cultural Educators from India, Tunisia, Ukraine, and/or Peru for Grade 3 presentations with the Public Awareness Program at C.A.R.E..
The program promotes welcoming and inclusive communities. As a Community Cultural Educator, you and the Program Coordinator will work together and go into schools and organizations in Red Deer & Central Alberta. You will share stories about your culture and country of origin, with the purpose of educating the students and the community members about immigration, refugee stories, and diverse cultures.
The Program coordinator provides training, support with preparation, presentations, activities and research, as well as transportation to the schools (if needed).
- Flexible hours – during daytime and as often as your schedule allows
Required Duties / Responsibilities:
- Help prepare the presentation with research, pictures etc.
- English level 4 and up
- Knowledge of PowerPoint an asset
- Enjoy sharing cultural activities with the public
- A desire to share your country, culture and perspective with others
- Knowledge about your country, or certain aspects of it that interest you
- An interest in meeting people of other countries, faiths, languages
Applications should be 18+ to apply. Families are welcome to apply.
This is a great opportunity to meet new people & make new friends, give back to the community, build networks and gain experience for your resume! Reference letters provided after 20 hours of volunteer service.
Organization: Central Alberta Refugee Effort
Contact Person: Elzbieta Sawicka
Phone Number: (403) 346-8818, ext. 248