Canadian Red Cross
Position / Placement: Emergency Response Team (ERT) Responder
Do you want to make a difference in your community?
Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking an Emergency Response Team (ERT) Responder Volunteer for the Emergency Management program.
What will you do
Working collaboratively as part of an experienced team of trained responders, supervisors and a site manager, you will:
· Conduct emergency preparedness activities;
· Assess the needs of those affected by an emergency event;
· Provide services such as shelter, food, clothing, registration of evacuees;
· Provide emotional care and comfort within an emergency shelter, community reception center, community recovery center or through outreach activities in the community;
What you bring and can further develop with the organization
· Customer Service Skills – provide comfort and care, patience in dealing with upset clients, active listening to understanding needs, finding a solution and good communication so clients understand the services available and how to obtain them;
· Commitment to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and model the core competencies of the Canadian Red Cross: team excellence, service excellence, accountability and results focused;
· Language – responders can deliver services as appropriate in English or French;
· Communication skills – understanding of verbal and non-verbal cues, active listening, clearly able to explain self and confirm understanding from client;
· Attention to detail - accuracy in completing necessary paperwork and giving information;
· Data entry - able to enter data into a computerised database through a structured form. Able to use an email account to read, print and reply to emails (including opening attachments).
· Teamwork - share information, be helpful, respectful, approachable, build strong relationships;
· Dependability - Timely, takes initiative and ownership of work;
· Remains calm during a crisis - Don’t allow emotions to get in the way, don’t take things personally, stay positive, respond decisively.
You will stand out if you
· Have education or experience in social services, health care, learning and education, or other relevant discipline;
· Demonstrate an understanding of role of the Red Cross in disaster response, relief and recovery.
What we offer
As an Emergency Management volunteer, you’ll help people to be better prepared, better connected to each other and more resilient when emergencies happen. The Red Cross will ensure you have training, ongoing support and access to other opportunities within the World’s largest humanitarian network.
· The majority of preparedness work is performed in community or in an office environment which is clean and comfortable.
· The majority of the response work is performed in an environment which is moderately clean and comfortable.
· Potential for responding in disaster areas with vulnerable populations, as well as difficult and unstable conditions (environmental, physical, social, etc.) and uncomfortable conditions (noise, odours, smoke, humidity). Information about these conditions are provided at the time of the request to deploy.
· If working in a response site, health and safety considerations will be outlined prior to the assignment.
· Able to work non-traditional hours (daytime, evenings and weekends), be on-call and respond to emergency/disaster related requests periodically.
· Ability to respond in your local community and outside of your community periodically. ERT Responders may be asked to deploy to a large-scale response in Canada, as required and available, for 3 days or more.
· Completion of online courses as well as in-person training is required as part of orientation and ongoing learning.
How to apply
If you're aged eighteen years or older and have a genuine desire to assist vulnerable and displaced people before, during and after an emergency event, this role may be for you.
Tell us about yourself along with any skills and experience you can bring to Red Cross by completing an online application. We thank you for applying! Website: https://www.redcross.ca/volunteer/apply-now/emergency-response-team-ert-responder-37
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All volunteer applicants will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We welcome applications from all applicants particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values.
Organization: Canadian Red Cross