Position / Placement: Monthly Peer Support Meeting Facilitator
Our peer support facilitator provides community based support to individuals living with vision loss in their community. The facilitator will organize and run monthly meetings, occurring on the 4th Tuesday of each from 1:30-3:00pm at the Golden Circle Senior, 4620 47A Ave Red Deer T4N 6C3. Meetings do not run December, July and August.
The meetings allow members to gain support from their peers and learn about community resources.
- Schedule meeting dates and time together with supervisor
- Plan and coordinate meetings
- Inform and remind participants of meeting dates, times and location via phone and/or email (can also be done with help of assistant)
- Run meetings: Welcome new members, encourage group discussions, and for participants to provide and receive peer support, provide information about community resources available and CNIB programs and services as necessary
- Identify and book guest speakers for community resources (optional)
- Regular check in's with supervisor including reporting attendance
Client of the CNIB or member of the community:
- Well-adjusted to their own vision loss if a client
- Comfortable dealing with strong emotions in a group setting
- Work well with individuals of all ages and backgrounds
- Friendly and empathetic
- Prior group facilitation experience is an asset
- Reliable, punctual, organized, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Orientation, including: general volunteer orientation and facilitator training
- General knowledge of common eye conditions is an asset
Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted: in this fun and social position, you’ll support individuals who have experienced vision loss to gain confidence, knowledge and a peer support community.
- Develop or use experience and skills in group facilitation.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.
To find out more, visit: http://cnib.ca/en?region=ab
Contact Person: Lauren Taylor
Phone Number: (403) 2617221