Canadian Red Cross
Position / Placement: Reception and Administrative Support Volunteer
Recruiting for volunteers in: Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, and Grande Prairie (Alberta).
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking Reception and Administrative Support Volunteers. This position will report to Assistant Coordinator or Receptionists in varying sites in Alberta. The Volunteer is responsible to assist in the management of the reception area in which the primary focus is to provide switchboard and reception customer service. It is a first point of contact to The Canadian Red Cross office for staff, volunteers, deliveries and members of the public. This position will also assist in other administrative duties as required.
Reception and Administrative Support Activities:
- Responds to general inquiries; provides information and directs the incoming calls to appropriate departments, programs or other agencies
- Greets and directs customers, clients, deliveries to appropriate department or program as first point of reception within the Canadian Red Cross
- Graciously accepts donations to the Society in person, and issues general non-tax receipts
- Receives packages, letters, parcels etc. and signs for deliveries when necessary
- Provide programmatic support to the One Red Cross Office and programs
- Integrates volunteer resources within the scope of responsibilities, as required
- Contributes to a healthy and safe working environment
- Enter data into developed databases; Photocopy, scan and file documents
- Assist with deposits and accounts receivable functions, code and process donations, call Suppliers and/or Donors as required
- Assist with varied administrative tasks as needed
- Operates a multi-line telephone switchboard console; answers all incoming telephone calls and routes to appropriate person or department; responds to inquiries; provides information and/or refers caller to other Red Cross offices or agencies as required
- Represents the Society in a professional manner by providing efficient management of all incoming telephone calls and client services to a local office
- Performs other administrative or reception duties as may be required by the other onsite programs
- Strong communication skills in English required
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to deal with staff, public and clients required
- Proficiency in computer skills/Microsoft Office an asset
- Database management experience an asset
- Excellent telephone manner and skills required; experience operating a multi-line switchboard an asset
- Experience working with a diverse population an asset
- Valid Standard or emergency first aid certificate is required. Or, must be willing to achieve this standard
This position requires a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record reference check.
- Commit for a minimum of six months
- 1 or more shifts (1/2 or full day shifts) per week during the regular office hours from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an office environment. Extended evening and week hours may be required during times of emergency response.
Benefits: This position provides excellent opportunity for anyone who is interested in gaining non-profit experience. Anyone who is interested in acquiring data entry and administration experience should apply.
If interested, please apply here.
Organization: Canadian Red Cross