Big Brothers Big Sisters of Red Deer and District
Position / Placement: In-School Mentors
It may sound obvious, but sometimes the best place to help a child realize their potential is at school. Kids enjoy having their mentors meet with them there, whether it’s in the classroom or on the playground. And parents know what a positive impact it makes.
Some of the biggest supporters of our School-Based Mentoring program are actually teachers. They see students come back from their time with their mentor filled with confidence, smiling big, ready to learn and eager to succeed.
The In-School mentoring program provides youth with a role model and a friend to talk to and share the experiences of growing up within school grounds. For one hour a week, mentors meet with their mentee and engage in activities such as board games, crafts or just hang out on school grounds.
The In-School mentoring program requires a weekly visit of one hour for the duration of the school year. Matches do not meet during school holidays nor over the summer break however will have great experiences to share when school begins in the fall!
* Must have the ability to laugh & be fun to hang out with
* Must have the ability to relate to young people and to adapt to change
* Must be reliable, honest, trustworthy, collaborative, patient and positive
* 90% of mentors saw a positive change in the child they were mentoring
* 88% of students showed improved literacy skills
* 64% of students developed higher levels of self-esteem
Organization: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Red Deer and District
Contact Person: Janessa McCormack
Phone Number: (403) 342-6500