Central Alberta Refugee Effort
Position / Placement: Volunteer Translators
While we are always accepting volunteer translators and interpreters in all languages, due to current demand, we are in need of volunteers who speak the following languages: Arabic, Russian, Ukrainian, and Spanish.
We are looking for volunteer translators to help new immigrants integrate to the Canadian society by translating documents from their native language to English or to other languages and vice versa. Examples of translations:
- birth/marriage/school/ insurance certificate
- passport stamps, divorce papers
- driving license
- letter of invitation, power of attorney, will
- report card, diploma
- employment records
- Time spent translating will vary, flexible hours. Typical short translations should be completed within one week, unless we indicate the urgency. The translator may choose the amount of available time he/she is willing to offer
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Respect confidentiality (files must be shredded or deleted once translations are complete. No information is to be shared with anyone other than the program coordinator)
- Translate the documents in a reasonable amount of time and/or inform the coordinator if you are unable to complete the translation
- Report to the program coordinator (by email or phone) about the status of the translation & the time spent working on the translation
- Attend free training provided by C.A.R.E. 4x/year. Training is designed for new and current volunteers to help them improve skills and abilities in connection to translation services
- Some translations may be notarized by a lawyer and will need to be submitted to Citizenship and Immigration of Canada, so accurate translations are very important.
We indicate the volunteer’s name on our C.A.R.E. stamp and affidavit. The volunteer has the right to refuse any document for translation.
Required Skills / Qualifications:
- Knowledgeable of two or more languages, especially in written form: the original language (translated from) and the other language (translated to) (for example: Spanish birth certificate to English or Spanish to French)
- Honest, reliable, professional, attention to detail
- Computer literate, particularly with Microsoft Office
This is a great opportunity to help newcomers in our community by translating their documents and helping them avoid the high cost of private services, practice written language skills, meet new people, learn about immigrants and refugees, build networks and gain experience for your resume! Reference letters provided after 20 hours of volunteer service
Applications are required to be 18+ to apply. Families are welcome to apply.
Organization: Central Alberta Refugee Effort
Contact Person: Elzbieta Sawicka
Phone Number: (403) 346-8818, ext. 248